Thursday, October 27, 2011

Going Fishing by Max Karp



Enamel-Powdered Glass Fired on Copper
Size: 9"x12" unframed
13.25"X16.50" framed

It was through Jack Krauss that I was intoduced to enamel art. Jack was Karp's
exclusive representative when he (Jack) owned the Nyack, N.Y. gallery. I was in line to take over the sales department because Jack had sold the gallery and wanted to stay with it for several days until he could teach me the process of creating enamels and his gift-like manner of selling them.


To Jack Krauss

Jack Krauss, you wanted me to join your staff and become one of your personnel when you opened your gallery in Las Vegas. It was tempting and I WOULD HAVE BEEN HONORED WORKING FOR YOU! Besides representing you, an amazing, masterful director, I could have represented an amazing First Class Person. After reading Max Karp's biography I was surprised that the Nyack,N.Y. gallery was not mentioned. I'll never forget the late nights I worked and played hostess to guests from the yachts who would end up in the gallery past midnight. Some bought and some drank more of the champagne we served. I wrapped sold enamels as you showed me, like a gift.

Jack Krauss became the exclusive representative for Karp enamels in the 60s and opened his first gallery in Nyack,N.Y.and I believe he is still an owner of the Whitt/Krauss Gallery in San Diego.

To me Max Karp and Jack Krauss are synonymous when speaking of Karp's enamels.

I wouldn't object to repeating some of the days that I directed this gallery, but for a short time, as there's nothing like owning your own gallery. After Jack left for Las Vegas without me I continued to direct the gallery for the new owners.

You can find out a little more about Max Karp on the internet and view some of his masterpieces. Get in touch if you are interested in "Going Fishing".

Mr. Karp is now diseased. And I was recently informed that Jack Krauss has passed on as well. I'm leaving my personal tribute to Jack on my blog.

Price on Request-smorantzgallery@gmail.com or call 201-943-8900

4 comments:

  1. I am interested in learning more about Max Karp. If you know more than the standard blurb on the internet, please contact me. I have become somewhat of a collector, as I now have 20 of his works, enamel on copper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello DR JSM,

      Are you still in the market for Max Karp pieces? A have a friend that is looking to sell and 8X10 piece that was purchased in 1985. My friend also has a David Karp piece available as well.

      Thank you, Michaela

      Delete
    2. Hello DR JSM,

      Are you still in the market for Max Karp pieces? A have a friend that is looking to sell and 8X10 piece that was purchased in 1985. My friend also has a David Karp piece available as well.

      Thank you, Michaela

      Delete
  2. Thank you. I've stated as much as I can on my blog about my working relationship with the enamelist artist Max Karp. My business was with Mr.Jack Krauss. Thank you for your inquirey and good luck in your search for more information.

    ReplyDelete