Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Poppy Fields


POPPY FIELDS
Oil Painting
Size: 30"x40"


"The poppy's look real" is one of the comments made by visitors to the gallery when viewing this artists work. "How can he achieve such dimension with a brush? The poppies are jumping off of the canvas". My reply,"not with a brush but with a pallet knife". And then I begin sharing my experience with the pallet knife. This is the way I'd like to continue selling....and educating along the way.

I was doing research on myself and I decided to google (brownie points for my computer) an art instructor I studied with who taught the use of the pallet knife when I attended OCCC. To my delight I learned that Coulton Waugh had written two books on the subject since teaching there and that his father is Fredrick Waugh, the famous marine artist. A painting I had rendered in class using the pallet knife was entered into a juried show without my knowledge. I didn’t remain distraught for too long because it was tagged with a blue ribbon, and I received a trophy at an
award ceremony. The trophy sits on my desk as a reminder of days of yore. Wonders never cease.


Price on Request-smorantzgallery@gmail.com or call 201-943-8900

No comments:

Post a Comment